Monday, November 30, 2009

Monogramed Wreath on the Cheap: A Tutorial

Here are the Supplies you will need:
If you shop at Hobby Lobby, like I did...this week all the Christmas supplies are 50% off, so the following cost me:
$2.50 for 25ft. of garland rope stuff
$2.00 for one set of berries (the picture shows 3, but I only needed 1)
$1.50 for the wooden letter (using the 40% off weekly coupon that you can print off daily here)
Picture Frame FREE...I had it already
Other craft items I had: hot glue gun, ribbon, red paint, staple gun
GRAND TOTAL: $6


I suppose you want to know what to do with it now, huh?

Step One: Paint Your Letter Red
Start with this step...that way it dries while doing the others



Step Two: Cut the Berries off of the stems
I used an old scissors cause I couldn't find my wire cutter...


Step Three: Wrap and Glue Garland around Frame
TIP: cut garland into smaller strands so it's easier to wrap.


Here's where I ended up cheating a bit to get away with only using 25 feet of garland.
After I got about 3/4 done I realized that it wasn't going to be enough, so I unwrapped half of the frame and just glued the garland to the front.
BACK VIEW:

FRONT VIEW:

I know you can probably tell the difference, but I don't think you would've been able to had I not let my secret out.

Step Four: Glue the Berries onto your Letter
fill in the gaps as much as possible with more berries until you're satisfied


Step Five: Attach Letter to frame with ribbon
You'll attach your "hanging" ribbon too at this point or other hanging device because both need to be in the center of the top of your frame.  I used a staple gun for extra strength.



Step Six: Hang it Up and Admire your Work
 I put mine on our mirror, but this would be great for a front door, or just on the wall as artwork.

 
  



....................................................
Linking Up With:
Kimba's DIY Party at A Soft Place
It's So Very Cheri's "It's So Very Creative"
Permission Perch's Make it Monday
Today's Creative Blog's Get Your Craft On
BCD Show and tell





29 comments:

  1. Love the garland around the frame - such a clever idea! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I want one ... and now that I have a few more days until induction ... perhaps I can make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make a square wreath and I love what you did with this one! Gorgeous! I am featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great! You're right, I wouldn'tve been able to tell about switching over if you hadn't let your secret out. I made a Halloween wreath using a picture frame, I love the garland! (If you want to see my Halloween one, here's the link, my friends is first, and mine is at the bottom: http://acraftyclan.blogspot.com/2009/10/guest-day-thursday-halloween-wreath.html)
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe Christmas is almost here! This is just lovely~thanks for sharing. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

    Mrs.Scribe Reviews: How to Lose Your Self of Steam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from SITS!

    My husband teases me all the time because I LOVE square wreaths. He thinks this makes me a crazy person. I think they are such a great update to the tradition shape. Can't wait to show him I'm not alone, and perhaps tackle this project! I wonder if there is a way to cover it in faux boxwood... I've never seen faux boxwood except in arrangements, but perhaps it's out there somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant!! This looks amazing!! What a fantastic idea!!! I'm off to the thrift store...

    Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This so cute! I love squared and rectangle anything. It looks so elegant. Very creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I have so many Goodwill frames and I never thought to do this with them.

    Thanks for the insperation!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have never thought about attaching the berries to the letter. Great idea! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is too cute! I love it! So creative. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love anything monogrammed and this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by from SITS...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How clever of you! it turned out lovely and it looks great on the mirror too.

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic idea! And I love the way it looks at the mirror.

    You should stop by to see my wreath i made out of burlap and a clothes hanger!

    Saying hi from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out so cute! I'm usually pretty uncreative, but this looks like something I could handle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is great...i'm completely going to lift this idea (if time permits) and if/when I do I will definitely link back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love a non traditional Wreath!!! Frames work great for that! Thanks for linking!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turned out so great. I love everything about it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful wreath ... I love the square. Thanks so much for sharing ... ohhh, my to do list is getting longer and longer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eeeekkkk!!! I have been trying to work out a square wreath in my head and never thought to use a frame! Pure genius! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like how your wreath turned out..very clever...happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have something like this on y list of things to do. I was thinking of just using cardboard or a thin piece of wood to do with the berries. Very Creative.

    Thanks for linking to the party.
    I will click to follow and add you to my subscriptions if you have that feature on your blog.
    Do you want to know why
    I am both following and subscribing? Check out my blog for the Google update.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've been featured--come check it out.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is really cute and very clever!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...