Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fabric Keychains: A Tutorial

LOTS of pictures with this one....don't want to miss a step!

Supplies:
3"x 14" Cotton Fabric of your choice
1" x 14" Cotton Batting
1 key ring (I used a swivel ring)
Iron
Sewing Machine
Matching Thread
(I eye-balled my measurements, because this is VERY forgiving, so it doesn't have to be perfect!)

Step 1: Start wrapping your batting by folding one side of fabric over the top ~1/4" and IRON

Step 2: Fold the other side of the fabric ~1/4" over and IRON flat

Step 3: Now fold the fabric around the batting entirely.  It should be the width of your key ring...here is where you can adjust any problems, tuck until it's the size of the ring opening.
Step 4: Off to the Sewing Machine!  Sew the open fold closed (1/4 seam from the side)

Step 5:  Flip to the other side and sew a matching seam down the other side

Step 6: Thread your Fabric Strip through the key chain ring ~2 1/2 to 3 in.

Step 7: Fold the each end in to meet the ring

Step 8: Now fold the little nubby end up and over the ring, like so

Step 9: Now follow me back to the Sewing Machine! Sew straight across the top of the Nubby Fold...and then Back-stitch for extra strength.

Step 10: For even MORE strength, I put an X through the fold too!  Follow the pics to see how it's done.
After I back-stitched over the top of the nubby end, I end up back in the top left corner.
Keeping the needle in the fabric, lift up the foot and turn to sew down to the bottom right corner.
 Once you're there, keep the needle down, lift the foot and sew across the bottom to the left bottom corner:
At the left bottom corner, keep needle down, lift foot and turn to sew up to the top right corner:

ALL DONE!


I'm making these for my friend's Bridal Shower in April as Door Prizes for the guests.  I have LOTS more to make, as well as other goodies.  I'll keep you in the "LOOP" though.  I've found some fun and EASY homemade gifts.  I promise I'll share them all with you too! ;)


.....................................
Linkin' upwith:
SomeWhat Simple's SYS

7 comments:

  1. Loving you right now! I have seen these and loved them; but did not think they could be so easy to do.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Pictures like these make me wish I had been born with my crafty genes intact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! The bright colors would make it so easy to find my keys in the deep recesses of my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love the fabric that you choose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. This looks like a great Mother's Day gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great!! Love the fabric you used. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so smart! I'm always dangling my keys from my fingers...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...