Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Rainbow Ruffled Ribbon Shirt: a Tutorial


This year we are celebrating Samantha's birthday twice (okay, maybe three times).  Instead of ONE party for her, we are going to celebrate with both sides of our families during other family functions...
so, she needs more than one Birthday Outfit.

I already showed you her CAMPING Dress...

Now, it's time for her RAINBOW Shirt.

It starts with a White Shirt


I gathered up my scrap ribbon & matching thread:
I left White Thread in the bobbin, and just changed the top thread with each color.


Now....we start from the bottom...using large quilting pins, I manually ruffled the ribbon on the shirt in a diagonal:


Now sew it just along the top of the ribbon:


And now do this with all your colors...overlapping just a bit





To finish off the edges, simply fold them over and sew them down:


You might have noticed that the tank-top was rather boxy.  I had to use a boys' top cause I couldn't find a girls'...
To fix that, I used a little of the red ribbon to gather it at the top of the shoulders:


All finished...and Ready for the Birthday Girl



Linkin' Up With:
The Creative Itch's Sew Cute Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. That's so cute! I'm visiting from Creative Itch! http://beinglds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding me?!?!? so stinkin' cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see it on her :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely ADORABLE! Just like the birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I think I may have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is soooo cute! I wish I would have had this shirt when I was a little girl. I had a thing for rainbows. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wow WOW! I had an idea for a rainbow ruffled shirt a few months ago, but when I tried it I made a mess. I LOVE the ribbon idea! I think I'll try again your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm featuring this on Monday! thanks for coming again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I featured your darling rainbow loveliness in my roundup!

    http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/03/true-confessions-rainbow-addiction.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...