Friday, November 12, 2010

Hot Cocoa Snowman Gift

What a INSPIRING Morning!

I had my monthly MOPS(Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting this morning, and I just knew it was going to be fun...each table's assignment was to bring in an idea or actual item that was handmade to share with the group for Christmas gifting. 
OF COURSE, I was in seventh heaven!  It was so neat to see not only are these women AMAZING Mommies...but SO Creative!  I am inspired every time I log onto the blogging craft world, but to see it in person...well, let's just say, I'm almost tempt to start a Mommy Craft Group in my city.  Who's with me?  No, seriously....email me, we'll talk!

And really quick, before I get to what I brought to share, I want to give a BIG 'OL WELCOME to my new readers that just learned I had a blog today....and all those that I just learned have been lurking around in the shadows.  (every once in awhile, COMMENT!  I'd love to know I'm not just talking to my mom myself)


Alright, on with the show, man....Let's make a SNOWMAN!  (hehe)

1. Start with a Half Pint Canning Jar.  (these are the Better Homes & Gardens Brand from Wal-Mart...I love the top)
2. Fill it with Mini-Marshmallows
 3. Make the Brim of the Hat using Black Paper or Fabric (it should be stiff though, so use Cardstock or Construction Paper or Felt) The most difficult part of this whole project...sizing the brim.  Basically it's a circle with a center Circle cut out of the middle that just fits over the open rim of the jar but llisn't big enough that once you slip it over the, it will be flimsy.  So just slightly small than the lid cover. 
Different jars will have different openings, so once you find that perfect balance, just use that as your pattern!
 4. Cut a piece of black ribbon to wrap around the lid of the jar...to complete the top-hat look.
 5. Give that man a face!  I used Puffy Paints, but regular acrylic craft paint works too.
 6. You can stop here if you'd like.  And gift your little snowman with a couple bags of hot chocolate.  Everything up to this step, including ALL materials cost me ~$2.50 per gift set to make 12.
7. Thanks to my new friend, Amy...there can be MORE to this Snowman...take another jar and fill it with Hot Cocoa Mix.  (I didn't have a large jar, so I used the individual serving packets.  It fits 5 servings)
 8. Hot glue some buttons on it...and Hot Glue your Marshmallow Jar to the top of the Cocoa jar.
 9. Use up some ribbon or Scrap Fabric for the scarf! (I just cut the ends for "fringe")
***EXTRA BONUS TIP:  Amy also suggested adding a third jar to the bottom full of peppermint candies.  Alas, there's no running to the store while I'm blogging during naptime, so you'll have to imagine it for me!


GREAT GIFTS FOR TEACHERS, NEIGHBORS, HOST/HOSTESSES FOR THE CHRISTMAS SEASON!

I think this qualifies as a "GIFT for GUYS" as I'm sure even male teachers, neighbors, etc. love them some Hot Chocolate....so I'm linking up with KOJODesigns Gift for Guys Party.

34 comments:

  1. This is such a cute, simple, idea! If you used white hot chocolate, it would complete the snowman look! But personally, I would definitely go for this kind of brown snowman, gotta love hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do something a little different. In a bag labelled "Snowman Soup" I place a Snowman mug with a packet of hot chocolate,A candy cane for a stir stick and a snack size baggie labelled "Snowman Poop" with miniature marshmallows in it. They are great gifts for teachers, bus drivers etc

      Delete
  2. awesome!!

    i'd SO be @ your craft group...if we lived in the same state, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonder if you could make cocoa cheaper, hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, you can. my mother-in-law makes it all the time and really likes it. however, i do not care for it. i like mine really chocolately and i think i have to use way too much of the homemade to get it where i want it. but you can give it a try and see what you think. word of caution, you will need a very LARGE container to make it in
      24 oz. box of dry/powdered milk
      1 c. non-dairy creamer
      2 c. powdered sugar
      16 oz. instant chocolate drink mix
      mix well
      use about 1/3 c mix with 1 c hot water
      use more or less mix depending on your preferred flavor

      Delete
    2. there is also a recipe on the back of the dry milk bags

      Delete
    3. Can you please tell me the recipe of the dry milk bags,Thank you

      Delete
  4. Ok, those are adorable! I am going to have to try them with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love the added jar with the hot cocoa in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Amy is so smart! I like her! This looks so cute and I can't wait for our workers to receive them next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea, which I found on be differnt... I am making them for for the kids and teachers in our homeschool co-op. I couldn't find the cute lidded ones, but I just painted the hats. Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love this...i may have to steal (or borrow) this idea!!

    xo
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. He makes me smile!!! Thanks for sharing the idean and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea! come on over and link up to MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This snowman is so cute and I love the coco idea! It was one of my favorite homemade gift posts I saw this week and I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/12/weekly-favorites-december-12-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is too much!! Love love love it. I spotted on Be Different Act Normal, and I posted a link on my other site (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops! Never mind! I just unpublished and saved my link as a draft mentioned in my other comment because I noted your copyright. I am searching for an email to request your permission first. Can't seem to find one (hence taking up too much comment space), but I'll keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, love it! I can see using old baby food jars and making mini versions of these for party favors or something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found this on Pinterest.com....love it! I'm doing it this year for my boys teachers! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are just too cute and easy to make. They'd make cute teacher gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's adorable!! I think making one of these w/ bigger jars would be an adorable family gift!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for for my gift baskets this year! SUPER CUTE IDEA! I'm making homemade vanilla extract and I think this would look perfect in a basket next to it, filled with dry cookie or cake ingredients of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute idea!! I featured this on my blog today, feel free to come check it out :)
    http://artsyfartsymama.blogspot.com/2011/11/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this!! I came acrossed this craft while looking for gifts for my neighbors. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea, I lllloooovvvveeeee it! I'm so excited to start. I love crafts like this. If I lived near u I would so do the craft thing! Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made these today and some candy cane wreaths too. Im not an extremely crafty person so I know they are simple or I wouldn't be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found a delicious recipe for homemade hot cocoa mix on spoonful.com.

    The secret ingredient in this mix is the mini chocolate chips, which melt when combined with the boiling water and give the cocoa an extra-rich flavor. The recipe makes enough for four gift-size portions, each of which can be measured into a small plastic bag and tucked into a cup or mug filled with mini marshmallows, candy stick stirrers, and a spoon. Wrap each filled gift cup in cellophane and don't forget to include a tag with the following instructions: "Spoon 3 or 4 generous tablespoons of cocoa mix into your cup (depending on the size), add boiling water, and stir well."





    What you'll need
    2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
    1/8 teaspoon salt


    How to make it
    1
    Measure all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk them until they are evenly blended.

    2
    Store the mix in a tightly covered container at room temperature until you're ready to package it. Makes about 4 cups of mix.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am looking luxury gift. Thanks for sharing for gift idea etc.


    toys-and-gifts & The goonies merchandise UK

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not at all crafty, but I think I could handle something like this!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would put cappuccino mix in the jars for some people....or coffee and flavored creamers...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this idea. I teach a 3 & 4 yr old class at daycare. We will be trying this for gifts to the parents. On the hat you could also use the thin foam sheets you get from Wal-Mart. Thanks again for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are adorable.
    I also like to add a chocolate kiss in with my cup of hot chocolate so I may also add a small jar of chocolate kisses as well and give as a complete gift.
    Could also make some chocolate covered spoons, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy, let set until chocolate as set up and add to the gift package as well.

    Also, when I make my homemade mix; besides the instant chocolate pudding, I also add a box of the instant white chocolate.
    ColleenB.
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  29. For this christmas present only 2 words, cute and adorable, and simple too. one of the most simple and amazing gift i have ever wondered of.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE all your neat and creative ideas. You are such a creative Mom. I think it was this site that there was a snowman made using a pop bottle, I think. Anyway..it was some kind of plastic container. And..now I can't find it. Would it be from your Blog. I have to be careful or I can sit here all day and see what you or someone else have come up with next. I love this snowman with the hot cocoa I know that I will be making some of those depending on the cost of the jars. Again....thank you for sharing and I am so glad that I found you and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...