Friday, February 11, 2011

How to Follow a Blog: Part I

So now you have NO excuse.

I have a lot of people who read my blog that don't "follow", subscribe, or comment.  In the blogosphere we refer to them as "lurkers". 
I know this because
1.) Family & friends talk to me about my blog posts frequently when I see them in person and
2.)I publish my blog to my personal facebook profile and often get "likes" and comments on there regarding said blog posts.

At this point in my blogging career, it doesn't bother me that people lurk more than not.  Mainly because I get a lot of feedback from other bloggers, and I see people enough in real life that give me my blogger affirmation.  That being said, there are still days that I put my heart and soul into a post (and sometimes a lot of time) and see very few comments posted.  This makes me have a very big :(  [tilt your head to the left, that's a frown] 

Now, since I know you all would like me and every other one of your favorite bloggers have :) [to the left with your head, that's a smile], My friend Kim, from A Little Bit of This and That, and I are going to have a little series on how to give good blog love.

HOW TO FOLLOW A BLOGGER BLOG:
There is usually a Box in the sidebar of the blog that says Followers.  
This box makes the blogger feel loved.  
LOVE THEM.
Click the Follow button.
It will have you log in using an account.  This can be a Google Account, a Yahoo account, etc.

REASONS WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BE A FOLLOWER?
1. It tells the blogger: "I like your blog, your ideas, heck, I like you."
2. It is a requirement for many giveaways that bloggers host. Who doesn't like free stuff?
3. It will add it to your Blog Reader (we will cover this later)
4. It makes commenting easier (we will also cover this later)


Feel free to ask any questions in the comments, and I will try and answer them to the best of my knowledge...and watch Kim's Blog for tips on Wordpress Blogs!


7 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I completely agree too...many of my "real life" friends and family read my blog but they won't comment. My husband told me that his mom won't comment (although she reads daily) because she doesn't want to interfere. Um...then don't read! Anyways, so glad you're doing this. It'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I visit a blog, and just can't think of what to say at that moment (haven't had my morning caffeine?), those are the times I usually fail to comment. I usually feel guilty later for not leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is awesome! I have the nifty little map thingy that shows where people have checked in from. And I really want to know some of my lurkers because of it!

    I have a feeling I am going to love this series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you... I live for the 1 or 2 comments I sometimes get on my posts...sad but true!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consider yourself "officially followed" by this lady. I'm totally guilty of being a long-time lurker and infrequent commenter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have soooo many lurkers and it makes it so awkward when you go to tell them something and they say, "yes, I read that on your blog". Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to your blog so wanted to say Hi and I think this post is a great idea. Lurkers and non-commenters can be discouraging. I think we all just want to know that we're not blogging to nobody. That someone actually reads what we write. I don't expect people to check my blog every day, every week for that matter, but if they do stop by to at least say Hi. It would be like someone coming to your house and leaving without saying anything. I look forward to the rest of your series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...