Thursday, February 10, 2011

Painted Toes

The other morning, Samantha was getting into things she shouldn't. 
This is the norm at our house now. I feel like the Terrible Twos passed over our house and landed on our 3 year old double time.
It's quite frustrating some days.
But, it's also amazing how a change of perspective can make the day go smoother.

Enter Nail Polish.

I found Sam digging in one of my bags....her little hands clutching a deep red bottle.  My heart sank thinking she had gotten it open, but I quickly see that she hadn't.

"What's This?"  "What's this, Mommy?"

My first reaction was to say, "That's mommy's, Sam.  Please put it back."  After all, that has been the broken record coming from my mouth these past few months. 

Something made me stop.  Something made me question myself.

Maybe it was because Cashton was playing nicely by himself on the floor.
Maybe it was that I saw in Samantha's eyes a look of true wonder.
(Honestly, I don't think she knew what it was.  I can't even remember the last time I painted my nails)

So, I say, surprising even myself, "Sam, that's nail polish.  You want mommy to paint your toenails?"

"HUH?!?!"
(Sam's go-to response to almost everything)

"Do you you want mommy to paint your toes?"

A brief look of unbelief...then "YES!"



 When they say a moment is priceless......this is what they are talking about


 She's was (and is) so proud.  I think she has taken off her socks at least twice a day to show off her "Painted Toes".

I'm so happy I didn't tell her to put that bottle back.




5 comments:

  1. awww, this gives me the chills. i so badly want to paint emily's toes, but the poor thing just can't take it. too much sensory overload right now. i can barely cut her nails!! one day though. one day.

    so glad you had this moment :o*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...I am all choked up. Good for you for making that moment so special. I too feel like I am constantly saying "No" or "Stop". I try so hard to put a positive spin on things but when they push, push, push...it is so hard. Maybe Z will let me paint his toes ;) I don't think S would like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. The story, the message, and the cute cute pics. :) Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always called it the Terrible Toddlerhood, partially because it started early with my early walkers and it stuck around until they were preschoolers(right around their 4th bdays).

    I am not one to paint my nails, my poor daughter. She doesn't stand a chance. I was/am a tomboy @ heart. Because of that, no one took the time to teach me how to paint my nails, put on make-up or do my hair. Now, I have no clue how to teach her :(

    These slivers of times are all she needs to get enough to remember the good times. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to seize the moment! Doesn't it feel so good to say YES? :) And it makes a difference in the rest of your day, too! Love Sam's expression - she really was THRILLED by this new experience! And now I've been reminded that I desperately need a mani/pedi!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...