Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Simple Curtains: A Tutorial

I've been told I have a slight fabric fetish...
it's a sickness I'm not quite ready to part with though.
About 4 months ago, it happened again.  I saw some fabric that inspired a whole room!
"Into the Woods" by Sharyn Sowell
It's modern, it's masculine, it's adorable, and the deer motif I knew would put a smile on Randy's face...so obviously, PERFECT for Cashton's room!
I wanted something simple for his curtains.  Simple, meaning no ruffles or bows or "cutesy" frills.
He's a little man after all!
And I thought I'd share how I made them...

1.  First things first: You have to measure your window.  I swear...there are 10 different sized windows in our new house!  Measure yours and add 2 inches on the width. This is going to give you a "Straight Look" no folds.  For your length: eyeball it. I know, "what kind of jabber-walkie tutorial is this"? 
But, it really depends on the fabric you use.
Mine for instance the top fabric (stripes) measures 1 1/2yds.
Bottom Fabric (deer) 20 inches.




11. Repeat the "Fold 1/2", Iron, Fold 1/2" again, Iron, and Sew" as seen above to the bottom edge of the curtain to finish it off.

15. Hang that Curtain Up!  You DID IT!
Turns out, I'm going to be adding to this little tutorial...I thought with the "shade" and the curtain, the room would darken a lot more than it did....PART II will be making this curtain "Room Darkening" 
Who's excited?
No?....
Well if that doesn't get you excited...here's a sneak peek of the rest of his room...
MORE TO COME SOON!

..............................................................
Linkin' up with:
Today's Creative Blog's Get your Craft On
Creative Itch's Sew Cute Tuesday
Ginger Snap Craft's WOW me Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. You post this as if I know how to work a sewing machine...

    =o)

    Good job on the curtains. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! :) Love the fabric you used. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower.} :)

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulously clear tutorial and great deer fabric!!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...