Sunday, April 29, 2012

COMING SOON: Sewing Club!

Do you sew?  If not, would you like to learn?
Creating things has become therapy for me.  At first when I said this to people it was in a joking manner, but I was actually asked this past week by a medical professional how I dealt with stress.  I thought about it for a little bit.  But, besides, prayer and kisses & hugs from my family….my happy place is Creating. 

My view on creating is very broad….but has evolved since I was a young girl.  When I was little it was drawing…then painting….pottery….all types of crafts….paper crafting….scrapbooking….home decor projects…..repurposing….photography….and eventually sewing.

If you’ve been around me or my blog, you’ve seen a little bit of everything.


The comments I mostly get from my friends though is, “I wish I knew how to sew.”  Or “That’s cute, but I don’t sew.” 

You know what?  I can hardly believe that I do either!

My mom tried to teach me to sew from a very young age.  It never stuck.  I think a big part of it is the relationship between a mother and daughter.  On top of that, I’m not the most patient person.  When I would get frustrated, I would just give up.  (I still find myself doing that very often) So, to claim I could actually teach someone how to sew is quite comical.

A few friends of mine have asked though.  I thought it would be so fun to start a little Sewing Club….of course, this would have to involve my mother since she knows WAY more than me, and is a teacher by trade anyway…so she has got that patience thing down too.  Then my mom got sick.  And while she is improving greatly (even starting to sew again)….the last 2 months I've been on my own.  I had to “put my big girl panties on” and sew like an adult. 

It taught me a few things.

1.) I am spoiled.  I would still give up on projects and have my mom finish them up. 

2.) I have SO much to learn.  Sure, I can sew a lot of things now, but I don’t think my technique is very good.  I’m basically self taught through other blogs and online tutorials, and store patterns scare the pants off of me. 

3.) I’m in NO position to teach others how to do this….but I really want to!!

4.) Sewing has been one of the most rewarding creative outlets I have come to love.  When I can dress my children in something unique and fun….and they are so excited to wear….there is nothing like that feeling.  Maybe it’s a little prideful… :[



So, what am I getting at?

I’m starting a SEWING CLUB Series on this blog.

However, It’s going to launch as a Read-ALONG/Sew-ALONG to begin with.

I recently bought the book, Stitch by Stitch by Deborah Moebes


It’s actually what gave me this idea…and it’s going to be our textbook in this journey.

Deborah’s view and input on sewing is eerily similar to mine.  She just has a WHOLE lot more knowledge and information to share.  Plus, after reading the first couple chapters….I feel like my sewing knowledge has quadrupled!  It’s so easy to read, understand, and learn from.


Now, I’m not going to plagiarize Stitch By Stitch, so I really would LOVE it if you’d like to join in on the first part of this SEW-ALONG journey….that you get a copy of your own!  (Hint: there’s a 40% off coupon every week for one item at Hobby Lobby--use it!......Also, Mother’s Day is May 13th….just sayin’)


I’m giving you a few weeks notice.  The first official Sewing Club “Meeting” will be the weekend following Mother’s Day, and I’m going to post over each weekend following that.

Friday Night/Saturday Morning will be a Link Up to Show off what we read/learned/accomplished that week.

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning will be the Introduction/Assignment for the following week.

So excited to go back to the basics with you and get a fresh new perspective on sewing! 

 Are you ready for:


Here’s your FIRST ASSIGNMENT:  Due May 18th
Get Your Textbook:  Stitch By Stitch by Deborah Moebes
Read the Introduction.
(there are some self-reflection questions that would be great to answer too)
Be ready to discuss/link up on May 18th with me!

Oh, yeah...invite your friends! 
The more the merrier...we can learn from each other, and give each other encouragement when needed.


3 comments:

  1. If I owned a sewing machine, I'd be all over this. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no clue how you have time for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since I took sewing class in middle school, I've wanted to go back and relearn. I SO wish I had a sewing machine to play along. My sister took my mom's sewing machine AND piano. Naturally she uses neither of them. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...