Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 3: Stitch Sampler

Thanks for waiting for me!


Now, on to WEEK 3 of

The assignment was to read Deborah Moebes' Stitch By Stitch
Chapter 2: Pages 39-53 and Complete your first project:
The Stitch Sampler (pg. 51-53) 

The moment of truth....you and your sewing machine got to know each other this week!  How'd it go?  Were you fast friends?  Still in that awkward stage?   Love at first stitch?

The first time I read the Sewing Machine Chapter I had to laugh!  I've been sewing for almost 3 years, and I had NO idea what half of the parts of my sewing machine were even named!  LOL!  I suppose part of that has something to do with the fact that my 1st sewing machine was a hand-me-down from my mom.  I miss that machine.  (it's getting cleaned right now) 
While that one is getting cleaned, my mom borrowed me her light-weight travel machine that she bought at a department store.

I think I've even seen these brands at Walmart....so you know they can't be too expensive.
Here's the good part about a Walmart machine: in-expensive, easy to find replacement parts, can google the user manual when you need to troubleshoot and your mom is in the hospital....

I've been sewing with this machine since January, and I will say I prefer the older, heavy-weight, dial machine....but that's just my personal preference.

Did you wind your bobbin with ease?  Figure out how to thread the machine?  Most of  the new machines even have diagrams right on them.  How handy!


I might prefer the heavy machine for its stability, but
I got excited when I started this project...
Maybe my mom bought this for all the different stitches:

As you can see, this is a digital machine.  So, the top number is the stitch length, and the bottom number is the stitch width. 
On my machine, each stitch has a preset stitch length and width....so that's what I used to make my stitch sampler.


I have never done a stitch sampler before.....But, I'm SO GLAD I did.  I think I might even frame this and hang it up next to my machine.  Whenever I want a decorative stitch, I get out scrap fabric and try a few.  Now, I'll at least have a reference.

What is really cool:  this is only a fraction of what the machine can do...because everytime you change the length and width of the stitch....the look of the pattern changes :)  FUN!

Here's some of my faves:

I can't wait to see your samplers!!!


WEEK 4 ASSIGNMENT:  Page 55 & 56 of Stitch By Stitch
THREAD DRAWING
HOW TO DISCUSS:
Comment in the comments section: I have enabled the reply feature, so I will be replying directly under this post.
Blog about it: Link up below with your post
Post in the Flickr Group: If you have a picture you'd like to share and don't have a blog....we can chat on there!:

2 comments:

  1. Your machine in cleaning should have as many stitches. I've never done a samplers but will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to see them all together :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...