Monday, July 16, 2012

How to Paint Fireplace Tiles


When we moved into our house (almost exactly a year ago) My very first... "I'm going to fix that" thought came when I saw the fireplace. 
This was the first fireplace I've ever had in my own home, and after drooling over the mantle decor all over the Internet.....I just couldn't find a place in my heart for these Hunter Green Marble Tiles.  The only thing that they seemed to go with was the current paint colors....and I wanted to change that.  So, the fireplace tiles needed change too.

Eventually, I would really like to replace the tile with something more eye-popping, but that will require taking apart the wood surrounding it, busting up the tile and re-tiling.....someday...maybe :)

I couldn't believe how easy it was!

I went into the paint store and asked them just how I should go about painting the tiles.  Seriously.  You can paint ANYTHING!  LOVE!

Basically you just need to sand down the surface (get rid of the gloss), and apply a coat of white pigmented shellac primer.  Very stinky.  Dries quickly...
Once you have that primer on....
You can paint whatever you'd like.

Notice I didn't bother worrying about the grout lines yet....I just went and got a little paint sampler bottle (Walmart for like $2) and used a tiny craft brush to paint the grout lines a darker color:

I still can't believe how nice it looks! 
(Plus, I really love hearing people tell me they thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to paint our fireplace tiles)

Here's a side-by-side of the whole thing.
Do you recognize the green from our Kitchen?


one more time:


 Linkin' Up with:

4 comments:

  1. I've painted my mantle, but wasn't sure if I should paint the tiles or not. I might just have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better! I like it a lot. I have been playing with the idea of painting the tiles in my bathroom but I'm scared since they are the tiles in the shower area. Thanks for sharing...your fireplace turned out great!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the brass strip ... how do you (I mean, I) get rid of that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have high heat paint you can find at The Home Depot. I bought Rust-o-Leum brand that came in either spray or paint on and it worked well in painting the brassy fixtures! Good luck and great job on the tiles! That's been a fear of mine...painted the mantle and brass parts on the actual fireplace but painting the tiles was where I stopped. Perhaps I'll move forward with that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...