Thursday, March 21, 2013

Receiving Blankets into Toddler Quilt


 A few months ago, a good friend of mine asked me to help her with a birthday gift for her son, Max.
She wanted to turn his piles of receiving blankets into a quilt for his 2nd birthday....
such a sweet idea!
How could I possibly say no to that?

We brainstormed how we were going to design the quilt....and since I have only made a handful of quilts in my day, I didn't have a wide array of ideas to offer.

So I started with the basic block.
 I cut the blankets into 4x4inch squares.

That's small.

My mother looked at me like I was a crazy woman.

Guess I didn't think that far ahead.

hehe...oops.

Anyway, Max's mama came over to offer some help with the arranging....
My first real idea was to make it a diamond pattern....
We used my kitchen table.
4x4 in squares are small.
Did I mention that before?
You need a lot of them to make a good size quilt.
It took quite awhile to arrange....and  thankfully my friend is as easy to please as I am...and we went with the diamond design right away. :)

Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!

My favorite part is the bottom right-hand corner...I used a little embroidered truck from one of the blankets and personalized it for Max with the year:


I don't claim to be a quilting expert, but for those of you who would like a little more of the details:  The backing is fleece, which makes it soft and thick (no need for batting).  The binding is more of the flannel receiving blankets, cut in 3 inch strips and sewn into "bias tape".  I use quotes because the flannel was so stretchy that we didn't even cut it on the bias.  The quilting was done by the tie method.  We used embroidery floss and cut the strings very short.

My other super quilt ninja secret:  My mom sewed all the binding on for me.  I don't have the patience.  We make a good team like that ;)

You know, it's really hard to get a FULL Picture of a quilt when you're indoors.
Just sayin'


The finished product is approximately 3ft x 5ft.


And here's the Happy Recipient:
HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY, MAX!

1 comment:

  1. awww that is too cute. I have a new grandson and he is growing so fast his receiving blankets are barely big enough for him. This would be ideal for me to make for him.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...