Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"A Few of His Favorite Things" Quilt

It's not "Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens" when you have a little boy....
but BOYS love things too!  Like Robots, and COWS, and Donkeys wearing Rain boots...  YOU'LL SEE...

Back in February, when it came time for Cashton to move into his BIG BOY Bed, lucky for him, I conveniently forgot that I swore off sewing quilts after Samantha's Full-size crazy quilt episode....and I set out to make a BOY QUILT.

I wanted it to be special to him, but still have a "Grow With Me" quality to it, so even if he would stop liking some of his obsessions in the near future, the quilt would still work.

I made a list of all of his favorite things: cows, shoes, boots, robots, tools, cars, horses, cowboys, boy stuff.
Then I set out on a fabric hunt.  I stayed within the color scheme of his bedroom: Browns & Blues...

and found the most adorable fabric! 
You'll often find Cash sporting his Rain boots.....often with shorts...even when it's above 90 degrees...

Choosing the very popular, yet manly, chevron pattern, I made the cuts large enough that it would go together quickly...and I'm pretty pleased with the results:
 The chevrons didn't quite make it large enough for a twin sized bed, hence the added side panels...
and the back is a mixture of solid brown "wood grain" and stripes, in mismatched strips:
I love it!

And he does too!
I didn't have it finished quite in time for the Big Move...so a football quilt from his Aunt Chrystal had to do the job until it was done...but nevertheless, he was pretty stoked to move up to BIG BOY BED status:
Flashback to February 2013: 1st night in the BIG BOY BED

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...