Thursday, January 23, 2014

28 Weeks and the Curse of Gestational Diabetes


I hope you weren't expecting to see a fruit pic...
Apparently, keeping up with the fruit plan was a little bit more work than I thought.

Here I am.  28 weeks along with Baby #4.  The past few weeks have been...different.

At 24 weeks, they perform the Glucose Tolerance Test.  You do not need to fast, but One Hour before you come in, you are to drink the disgusting glucola drink, and then get your blood drawn.
Of course, I poorly planned my appointment and was up ALL NIGHT working and exhausted.  At any rate, they expect your glucose level to <130 147.="" and="" mine="" p="" was="">
Cue the 3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test.
a.k.a. one of the cruelest forms  of torture known to pregnant women.

You get to fast for 8 hours.  Drink another horrible sugar drink.  Get your blood drawn.  Then continue to get your blood drawn every hour for the next three hours....also on an empty stomach.

My results: Fasting Glucose: 98, all the other values after the glucola drink were within range.
The "normal" fasting glucose for this test is set at <95 .="" and="" counselor.="" diabetic="" even="" my="" nbsp="" of="" p="" range...i="" rest="" sent="" the="" though="" to="" values="" was="" were="" within="">
I guess my OB is "Aggressive" with treating Gestational Diabetes.  So, even though, according to everything I have been told & tested for, I don't meet the criteria for Gestational Diabetes diagnosis....they are having me act like it anyway.

I was sent home with a glucose meter, testing strips, and needles....and all the paperwork to record my every bite and my glucose levels 4 times a day.  First thing in the morning and 1 hour after every meal.  Good Times.

Why am I sharing all this with the world?

I think a lot of pregnant women got through this and are ashamed, embarrassed, confused, scared, lonely, angry....oh I don't know.  I don't even know what I'm feeling, except for wanting to down a whole pizza by myself. 
When someone tells me to watch what I eat, all I can think about is food. FOOD. FOOD!  Oh, and pricking my fingers 4x a day is annoying too.
I'm most definately feeling sorry for myself. 

I know in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. 
I know that it's always better to be safe than sorry. 
I would rather have a healthy baby than have a fit about a few weeks of eating healthy and a little discomfort. 

I know.

I also know that being pregnant for the 4th time, with 3 small kiddos & hubby to feed and care for, working part-time on night shift, working 2 other "side jobs", lots of commitments, household duties, irregular sleep patterns, and on and on....is hard.
I'm having a little bit of a pity party for myself.  Sorry.  I'm not normally the WOE is ME type.

Also, not sorry.

I bet you've been here too.  Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

I will say, Randy has been very supportive...offering to prick his fingers with me to make me feel better.  Also, saying sorry just enough to let me know that it's okay for me to be upset.

On a baby note:
Baby #4 is a mover and a shaker.  Entering the 3rd Trimester really changes the way I feel about movement.  While it's super awesome that everyone on the outside can feel it, the feeling on the inside is a little less magical, and a tad more uncomfortable.

12 weeks to go until due date....here goes!

And if you are struggling with the Curse of Gestational Diabetes, I feel your pain.  LOVE TO YOU, MAMAS!

1 comment:

  1. I had hypoglycemia.. meaning mine would crash without warning. Such fun waking up in the office sprawled out on the couch almost 6 months along, drool on your chin and 3 other people on the other couch looking at you. Oh yeah good times.. Not. So they worried because it crashed so quick.. sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...